Carnival Liberty – the first ship to undergo the initial phase of Carnival Cruise Lines’ ambitious $500 million Fun Ship 2.0 enhancement initiative – re-entered service this weekend following an extensive two-week dry dock that added a host of new dining, bar and entertainment choices.
Fun Ship 2.0 is a multi-year effort designed to dramatically transform the Carnival vacation experience through innovative partnerships and new branded spaces. The first phase extends through the end of 2015 with 16 ships scheduled to receive the various Fun Ship 2.0 enhancements.
New features on the Carnival Liberty include:
- Guy’s Burger Joint, a new free casual dining venue developed in partnership with Food Network personality and restaurateur Guy Fieri offering delicious hand-crafted burgers and fresh-cut fries in a fun atmosphere that celebrates his California roots and love of car culture.
- RedFrog Rum Bar, a poolside version of the line’s popular RedFrog Pub that debuted on Carnival Magic offering a quintessential Caribbean vacation vibe.
- BlueIguana Tequila Bar, featuring a laid-back Mexican-themed atmosphere and a variety of tequila-based frozen drinks and beers.
- BlueIguana Cantina, a casual eatery that evokes the feel of a fun, relaxed Mexican beachside dining spot serving authentic tacos and burritos.
- EA SPORTS Bar, created in tandem with the leading sports videogame brand where guests can catch the latest action and play popular EA SPORTS video games on a 16-screen video wall.
- Alchemy Bar, a vintage-themed cocktail “pharmacy” with imaginative cocktails and a wide array of ingredients.
- A revamped nightclub experience with DJs trained by celebrity song master DJ IRIE, Carnival’s official DJ who created DJ IRIE’s Spin’iversity, the first DJ academy at sea.
In addition to the Fun Ship 2.0 features, Carnival Liberty’s dry dock also included new carpeting, tile work, wall coverings and furniture, as well as other cosmetic upgrades and routine maintenance. A Serenity adults-only retreat was also added and offers colorful umbrellas, comfortable chaise lounges and chairs and oversized whirlpools.
Additional enhancements included in the first phase of Fun Ship 2.0 will be introduced on several other ships next year. These include a partnership with comedian George Lopez who has been named Carnival’s “creative director for comedy” and will evaluate talent for its fleetwide comedy venues, which will be called The Punchliner Comedy Clubs Presented by George Lopez; Hasbro, the Game Show, with larger-than-life stage adaptations of the brand’s popular and iconic board games; and Playlist Productions, which combines electrifying live performances with high-tech LED special effects to set a new standard in seagoing productions.
Carnival Liberty operates year-round seven-day cruises from Miami, alternating weekly to the eastern and western Caribbean. Eastern Caribbean cruises include the private Bahamian island of Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas/St. John, San Juan and Grand Turk while the western route features Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios or Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay – Roatan, and Grand Cayman.
Additional information on the Fun Ship 2.0 initiative is available at www.carnival.com/funship2.